There’s a lot that happens on the gymternet each week. So much so that it can be hard to keep track of it all. From training updates and COVID year announcements to recruiting rumors and coaching news, we don’t blame you for missing some important points here and there.
That’s where we come in. Last Week in College Gym is your one-stop shop for all the important headlines from the previous week in college gymnastics. No matter if you’re taking a social media break, went on vacation or just don’t have the capacity to follow every single gymnast, team and fan, we have you covered.
Florida Freshman Leanne Wong and Commit Kayla DiCello Land on All Around Podium at Worlds
Leanne Wong claimed silver and Kayla DiCello received the bronze in the individual all around competition in Kitakyushu, Japan. Wong intends to join the Gators in Gainesville in November and is undecided about whether she will train for the Paris 2024 Olympics while DiCello says she does not intend to vie for another Games. Both Wong and DiCello also competed in the beam and floor finals, with Wong earning a bronze medal on floor.
Other Newsworthy Items
- Arizona sophomore Courtney Tsunoda has medically retired.
NIL Brand Deals
- Florida senior Leah Clapper signed an NIL deal with Public Rec, a clothing company.
- LSU senior Sami Durante has a leotard line with Layout Leos coming out soon.
- LSU junior Kiya Johnson has a partnership with Elevated Faith.
- Arizona State freshman Alex Theodorou partnered with Liquid IV.
- West Virginia senior Rachel Hornung partnered with Verb Energy bars.
- Maryland sophomore Alexa Rothenbuescher is training a clean Tsuk full to competition landing. Teammate Olivia Weir is also training a switch leap to LOSO connection on beam. Freshman Lindsay Bacheler is training a BHS + LOSO combination on beam.
- Minnesota recently posted some training updates to its Instagram story. Katie Horak is training a double layout off bars while teammate Marissa Jencks is training a front toss to back tuck on beam. Additionally, Emily Koch is training a Liukin on beam while Tiarre Sales showed a BHS + BHS + LOSO.
- Illinois freshman Ruthuja Nataraj is training a Yurchenko one and a half onto a soft landing per her Instagram story. Also, senior Mallory Mizuki is training beam. She missed her first two seasons with ACL injuries and has only competed bars.
- Bella Salcedo, a freshman at Penn State, is training a fun front layout to front full to front pike.
- Utah State junior Lexi Aragon is training a full-twisting double tuck bar dismount.
- Bridgeport freshman Alyssa Wiggins is training a toe-on Shaposh (Maloney) upgrade. Teammate Joanna Chambers is training a front handspring front pike half on vault. Senior Nicole Javinett is training a triple series on beam, a BHS + LOSO + LOSO.
- Florida posted video of two lineup’s worth of E passes, including an impressive piked double Arabian from senior Nya Reed. Classmate Savannah Schoenherr showed off some of her 2022 floor choreography. Freshman Riley McCusker is training a split leap to side aerial on beam and completed a double layout on Tumbl Trak. McCusker is recovering from ankle surgery. Sophomore Alex Magee is training a roundoff one and a half dismount on beam. Magee dealt with a shoulder injury and did not compete in 2021. Sophomore Gabrielle Gallentine is training on all four events, including a full-twisting double layout dismount on bars.
- LSU sophomore Haleigh Bryant is training an upgrade on bars: a double front half dismount.
- Kentucky sophomore Ashlyn McClair is working a full-twisting Yurchenko on vault. McClair did not compete her freshman year.
- Alabama freshman Isabella Martin is working a BHS + LOSO on beam.
- New Hampshire junior Kenadi Brown is training a back one and a half to Rudi on floor. Junior Larissa Biette is working on a front double full on floor.
- Lindenwood junior Gayla Griswold is training a Yurchenko one and a half.
- Two Temple freshmen showed upgraded vaults from level 10, Sydney Seibert a Tsuk layout full and Anna Hill a Yurchenko full.
- Pittsburgh junior transfer Erin Hutchison is training a front double full on floor.
- UW-Stout freshman Isabela Krulich debuted her front double full on floor on Instagram stories.
- Caylee Greeder, Gustavus junior, is training a front double full on floor. Senior Brooke Merila is working on a floor upgrade of her own with a back one and a half to front full combination pass.
- Denver posted a short highlight clip from recent training. Senior Mia Sundstrom was also spotted on DU’s Instagram story training beam, an event she hasn’t competed since her 2020 injury.
- West Virginia senior Kendra Combs displayed a handspring front pike vault on the team’s Instagram story. Combs has not competed vault during her collegiate career.
- Oklahoma posted a training clip to Instagram, giving a sneak peek of skills on bars, beam and floor. The video includes glimpses of newcomers Moorea Linker, Danielle Sievers and Danae Fletcher.
READ THIS NEXT:
Article by the editors of College Gym News
Like what you see? Consider donating to support our efforts throughout the year!