There’s a lot that happens on the gymternet each week. So much so that it can be hard to keep track of it all. From training updates and COVID news to recruiting rumors and coaching announcements, we don’t blame you for missing some important points here and there.
But that’s where we come in. Last Week in College Gym is your one-stop shop for all the important headlines from the previous week in college gymnastics. No matter if you’re taking a social media break, went on vacation or just don’t have the capacity to follow every single gymnast, team and fan, we have you covered.
Seattle Pacific Gymnastics Discontinued
Athletic Director Jackson Stava announced that the women’s gymnastics program would be discontinued effective immediately, leaving gymnasts very little time to seek transfer opportunities before the fall. A petition began circling to save the program.
Alaska’s Brown transferring to New Hampshire
Kenadi Brown announced on Instagram that she would be transferring to New Hampshire. Brown competed all around in almost every meet during her freshman year at Alaska and will be an asset on bars in particular for the Wildcats.
Orosco Leaves Alabama
Would-be Alabama sophomore Macy Orosco announced that she is leaving the team on Instagram. She did not explain her departure or if she will be transferring to compete elsewhere.
Schoenherr Talks Being Gay in Gymnastics
Florida junior Savannah Schoenherr gave an interview to the Half In Half Out podcast. She talked extensively about her experience of coming out as gay in a heteronormative sport like gymnastics.
Other Newsworthy Items
- UCLA alumna Gracie Kramer was officially announced as Utah State’s new volunteer assistant coach. She will also serve as the team’s social media and creative content manager.
- Surprise freshman Martina Comin was added to Nebraska’s roster for the 2021 season. She is the second Italian gymnast to join the Cornhuskers, along with rising sophomore Clara Colombo. Check out her Recruit File.
- Minnesota senior Lexy Ramler posted a video to her Instagram Story of a beautiful full-twisting double tuck this week. It may have been on the tumble track but it shows some serious potential.
- Alyona Shchennikova posted some training clips, including a Yurchenko one and a half on vault into the pit. The LSU sophomore has never vaulted for the Tigers.
- Utah got back into the gym for training this week as a team for the first time since the season ended. Check out rising senior Sydney Soloski’s Twitter for clips of how the Utes are practicing during this pandemic.
- Oklahoma sophomore Ragan Smith showed a double layout on floor via an Instagram Story.
- Utah State’s Rebecca Wells is back in the gym following the shutdowns. The sophomore posted a Yurchenko full to her Instagram Story.
READ THIS NEXT: Most Anticipated J.O. Freshmen on Floor
Article by the editors of College Gym News
Like what you see? Consider donating to support our efforts throughout the year!