Name: Martina Comin
Club: Gruppo Sportivo Audace, Italy
High School Graduation Year: 2020
|Vault||Uneven Bars||Balance Beam||Floor Exercise|
|2016 Competition||2019 Training||2016 Competition||2017 Competition|
It has been difficult to find any information or videos about Comin and her gymnastics. What we know is that she is her club’s captain and she won the all around at the 2018 and 2019 GOLD regional meet (prima prova di campionato regionale GOLD). She has experience competing in both the Italian Serie A2 and Serie A1 (Italy’s highest-level league competition), and in 2019 she helped her team, which used to compete in the Serie A2, qualify to the Serie A1. She trains alongside Camilla Campagnaro, who competed at the 2019 Junior World Championships. Comin will become Italy’s second gymnast to ever compete in the NCAA, following Clara Colombo’s footsteps, who also joined Nebraska last season.
What She Brings to Nebraska
- Skill: Yurchenko full
- Results: 2018 national champion (senior 2 category)
- Margin of Improvement: The only video of Comin’s vault is from 2016. Since then she has won a national title, so we assume that she improved her form. From the available video, her Yurchenko full is fine but would benefit from greater height, a straighter body position and a more secure landing.
- Impact on the Team: Nebraska is quite strong on vault and probably would not need Comin’s 2016 vault. Her lineup debut will depend on the evolution of her ability on the event over the past four years.
- Skills: Maloney to bail to handstand
- Results: –
- Margin of Improvement: From the training video we saw, Comin’s Maloney is excellent but she has a significant leg separation on her bail. We did not see her dismount. Back in 2013 she was training a Tkatchev. We do not know whether she made progress on it or not.
- Impact on the Team: Comin has potential on bars, though as her routine stands the Huskers can do without her. She may make the lineup in the future, though.
There is not enough information to comment on Comin’s beam work, except for this double tuck dismount from 2016. Although the video does not mention the gymnast’s name, we are quite certain that it is Comin competing.
- Skills: full-in, front full twist, double tuck
- Results: –
- Margin of Improvement: Comin’s form on floor is very good. Her full-in is strong and, as per Facebook, in 2019 she debuted a double Arabian in competition. She also posted a video training a double double, which looked strong, and another quite old video of her training a double layout. Finally, there are recent videos of Comin training a full-twisting double layout and a piked double Arabian. It is unlikely that we will see these very difficult passes in the NCAA, but they reveal Comin’s potential on this apparatus.
- Impact on the Team: Given that Nebraska virtually lacks a floor lineup for 2021, we assume that Comin was recruited primarily for floor. Head coach Heather Brink will expect her to produce good results from the start.
READ THIS NEXT: Recruit Files: Lainey Hunt, Texas Woman’s
Article by Talitha Ilacqua
Like what you see? Consider donating to support our efforts throughout the year!