There’s a lot that happens on the gymternet each week. So much so that it can be hard to keep track of it all. From training updates and COVID year announcements to recruiting rumors and coaching news, we don’t blame you for missing some important points here and there.
That’s where we come in. Last Week in College Gym is your one-stop shop for all the important headlines from the previous week in college gymnastics. No matter if you’re taking a social media break, went on vacation or just don’t have the capacity to follow every single gymnast, team and fan, we have you covered.
- Oklahoma alumna Anastasia Webb added another award to her impressive collection, winning 2021 Big 12 Conference Female Athlete of the Year. She and former teammate Maggie Nichols, who earned the title in 2018 and 2020, are the only gymnasts with the honor.
- Michigan State alumna Alina Cartwright is returning to East Lansing as an assistant coach. She was recently with Alaska.
- Sabrina Cheney, rising senior, revealed she was let go from the Auburn gymnastics team for the 2021-22 season. Cheney has suffered from multiple injuries throughout her career but made a few appearances on floor in 2021. Cheney stated she has not been in talks with other coaches yet about potentially transferring to a different university.
NIL Brand Deals
- Nebraska’s Kylie Piringer inked a deal with Runza.
- Morgan Hooper, Northern Illinois senior, and Addy de Jesus, Iowa State senior, are working with Fake Inc.
- Kentucky sophomore Isabella Magnelli has signed a deal with Enterprize.
- UW-Stout rising sophomore Genevieve Czaplewski posted a variety of training updates to her Instagram including a blind full and overshoot to handstand on bars, a Rudi on floor and a side aerial on beam.
- New Hampshire incoming freshman Gracy Mowers is training several upgrades, including a back handspring + back handspring + layout series on beam and a Biles I on floor.
- Rising junior from Illinois Olivia O’Donnell was seen training a new straddled Jaeger to overshoot combination on her Instagram story.
- Illinois’ Lexi Powe is training a Yurchenko 1.5.
- Sierra Brooks showed up with the training updates when she posted this “gymnastics dump” to her Instagram.
- In UW-Lacrosse’s latest installment of new skill Saturday, freshman Sara Beck was seen training a double Arabian on floor, a FTY on vault and a side Somi to split half jump and front toss on beam. Freshman Kyla Dickson was seen doing a double layout on bars and a BHS BHS LOSO on beam. Freshman Jessica Taylor is training a FHS front tuck half on vault while junior Jordyn Faust was seen training a Rudi and double pike on floor.
READ THIS NEXT: After a Lifetime Together, Twins Hannah and Emma Loyim Prepare for Separate NCAA Journeys
Article by the editors of College Gym News
Like what you see? Consider donating to support our efforts throughout the year!