There’s a lot that happens on the gymternet each week. So much so that it can be hard to keep track of it all. From training updates and COVID year announcements to recruiting rumors and coaching news, we don’t blame you for missing some important points here and there.
That’s where we come in. Last Week in College Gym is your one-stop shop for all the important headlines from the previous week in college gymnastics. No matter if you’re taking a social media break, went on vacation or just don’t have the capacity to follow every single gymnast, team and fan, we have you covered.
Lee to Return to Elite Gymnastics
Auburn sophomore and 2020 Olympic all-around champion Sunisa Lee announced that 2023 will be her last year competing for the Tigers. Lee has her sights set on the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris and plans to resume her elite training at the conclusion of the 2023 season. “I’ve learned so much about myself, true teamwork and about community during my time [at Auburn],” Lee said. “My focus right now is to make it the most incredible season yet and be the best teammate I can be.”
Other Newsworthy Items
- Bowling Green announced that Sunny Marchand has been promoted to associate head coach.
- Auburn alumna Sam Cerio was among the team of aerospace engineers who contributed to NASA’s recent Artemis mission.
- Oklahoma gymnast Meilin Sullivan and former gymnast Quinn Smith did an interview with Sooner Sports TV about their adoption stories and the bond that led them to Oklahoma.
- Minnesota junior Gianna Gerdes showed a Yurchenko one and a half at the Gophers’ second preseason intrasquad.
- Maryland senior Emma Silberman upgraded her vault to a full-on pike.
- LSU standout Haleigh Bryant is training a rarely seen Podkopayeva (a tucked double front half out) on floor.
- Florida fifth-year Savannah Schoenherr, known for her contributions on vault and bars, posted floor training video of a back one and a half to front full.
- Denver junior Rosie Casali showed a Yurchenko one and a half at the Pioneers’ recent intrasquad.
READ THIS NEXT: Last Week in College Gym: November 14
Article by the editors of College Gym News
Like what you see? Consider donating to support our efforts throughout the year!