There’s a lot that happens on the gymternet each week. So much so that it can be hard to keep track of it all. From training updates and COVID year announcements to recruiting rumors and coaching news, we don’t blame you for missing some important points here and there.
That’s where we come in. Last Week in College Gym is your one-stop shop for all the important headlines from the previous week in college gymnastics. No matter if you’re taking a social media break, went on vacation or just don’t have the capacity to follow every single gymnast, team and fan, we have you covered.
University of Alaska Earns Permanent Reinstatement
After raising over $880,000, the University of Alaska Anchorage gymnastics team has earned permanent reinstatement. The team had been at risk of termination since September 2020.
Other Newsworthy Items
- Kendra Combs of West Virginia announced that she will take a fifth year for the Mountaineers. Combs was a high-scoring contributor for the Mountaineers in her four years, most notably on floor exercise.
- Arizona incoming freshman Emma Strom underwent wrist surgery this week, putting her ability to compete next season, at least to start, in question.
- Oregon State rising sophomore Jade Carey donated a signed leotard to You Can Play for auction, an organization that promotes LGBTQ+ participation in sports.
- Rising junior Jordan Halcom announced that she will be transferring from Rutgers to UW-La Crosse.
NIL Brand Deals
- Oklahoma sophomore Jordan Bowers is now a part of the Fans Meet Idols family. Other NCAA gymnasts with a presence on the platform include her teammate Audrey Davis, Ellie Lazarri of Florida and Samantha Sakti of UCLA.
- Minnesota posted a video of incoming freshman Seria Johnson doing an aerial to layout series on the floor beam to their Instagram story.
- Incoming Rutgers freshman Valentina Lorente Garcia posted a video of a bhs + bhs + loso on beam to her Instagram page.
- Rising Minnesota junior Gianna Gerdes posted a video of a bhs + loso + loso on beam to her Instagram page.
- Incoming WVU freshman Miranda Smith posted a training clip to her Instagram of a double pike pass on floor.
READ THIS NEXT: Last Week in College Gym: June 20
Article by the editors of College Gym News
Like what you see? Consider donating to support our efforts throughout the year!