There’s a lot that happens on the gymternet each week. So much so that it can be hard to keep track of it all. From training updates and COVID year announcements to recruiting rumors and coaching news, we don’t blame you for missing some important points here and there.
That’s where we come in. Last Week in College Gym is your one-stop shop for all the important headlines from the previous week in college gymnastics. No matter if you’re taking a social media break, went on vacation or just don’t have the capacity to follow every single gymnast, team and fan, we have you covered.
Incoming Auburn Freshman Sunisa Lee Wins Olympic AA Gold
Sunisa Lee is leaving the Olympic games as a name to remember. The Minnesota native took gold in the all around competition, silver in the team final with the U.S. and bronze on bars. Lee has stated that she still intends on competing for Auburn in 2022.
Oklahoma to Join SEC for 2025-26 School Year
The SEC announced that Oklahoma and Texas accepted their invitation to join the SEC starting in 2025. This means gymnastics would have nine SEC teams and only three remaining in the Big 12.
Other Newsworthy Items
- Incoming LSU freshman Aleah Finnegan revealed on TikTok that she will be having foot surgery in the next few weeks.
- Gina Quinlan will be the assistant coach for Alabama for the 2021-22 season. Quinlan is a former collegiate gymnast for the Crimson Tide and most recently coached vault and bars at Metroplex.
- Dr. Lori O’Dell was named the volunteer assistant coach at San Jose State. O’Dell is a former collegiate gymnast and has been involved in the gymnastics community for over 25 years. She has extensive experience in choreography and will likely play a key role in crafting the Spartans’ floor routines with the departure of Jeffrey Langenstein to Washington.
NIL Brand Deals
- Incoming OU freshman Jordan Bowers has secured a sponsorship with InspireMeBracelets, a personalized jewelry company.
- Rachel Baumann, rising senior at Georgia, has partnered with Layout Leos.
- Rising senior for Kentucky, Josie Angeny, has designed a leotard with Salute Leos.
- Leanne Wong, incoming Florida freshman, is working with Higo apparel.
- Elizabeth Schauer, Hamline rising junior, was seen training a front layout to front double full connection on floor.
- Rising sophomore Kareena Mcsweeny was seen training a full-in to the pit via her Instagram story.
- Denver posted some clips from summer training, including a Ricna to pak combo from freshman Mia Hebinck and a punch front double full from senior Emily Glynn.
- Centenary rising junior Kennedy Stephens was seen training a front aerial BHS LOSO triple series on Instagram.
- BYU senior Haley Pitou is training a Ray on bars.
- Leanne Wong, incoming freshman at Florida, is back training at GAGE after she was quarantined in Tokyo with a close contact to a COVID-19 positive.
- Rising Florida sophomore, Chloi Clark, was seen training a Y1.5 vault into the pit.
- Nicoletta Koulos, a gymnast at Michigan, was seen training a full-in to the pit on her Instagram story.
READ THIS NEXT: BREAKING: Oklahoma to Join SEC Starting With 2026 Season
Article by the editors of College Gym News
Like what you see? Consider donating to support our efforts throughout the year!
If the Big 12 gymnastics conference dissolves perhaps Iowa State can join the Big Ten, that is in the talks for the entire athletic teams at ISU anyway. West Virginia can rejoin EAGL, especially with Pitt, UNC, and NCS joining the new ACC conference in 2024.
Denver would be a great addition to the Pac 12 or MRGC.