There’s a lot that happens on the gymternet each week. So much so that it can be hard to keep track of it all. From training updates and COVID news to recruiting rumors and coaching announcements, we don’t blame you for missing some important points here and there.
But that’s where we come in. Last Week in College Gym is your one-stop shop for all the important headlines from the previous week in college gymnastics. No matter if you’re taking a social media break, went on vacation or just don’t have the capacity to follow every single gymnast, team and fan, we have you covered.
Ho Named Assistant Coach at UC Davis
Tanya Ho, who was head coach at Alaska from 2018-2020, joins the program after former assistant Carolyn Kampf’s departure. Ho was a standout gymnast for the Aggies, graduating in 2010 and earning 13 All-MPSF honors, as well as qualifying as an individual to the NCAA postseason in three-straight seasons.
Slocum Named Sun Devils Volunteer Assistant
Rachel Slocum, who transferred to Florida after starting her gymnastics career at Eastern Michigan under Jay Santos, has been named volunteer assistant at Arizona State where Santos is now head coach.
Other Newsworthy Items
- SHIFT Movement Science is partnering with Dr. Ellen Casey to study Achilles tendon injuries in gymnasts. Current and former collegiate gymnasts are invited to complete a survey if they’d like to participate.
- Recent Oregon State graduate and former gymnast Isis Lowery was named one of 23 recipients of the Pac-12 Postgraduate Scholarship. Lowery is planning on returning to Oregon State to pursue a masters in education.
- Winona State head coach Beckie Rolbiecki has announced her retirement from the sport. Rolbiecki was at the helm for 16 years. Assistant coach Aixa Evenson has been named interim head coach for the 2021 season with a full search for Rolbiecki’s replacement being conducted after its conclusion.
- Minnesota senior Lexy Ramler posted a video of a double arabian into a pit on her Instagram Story this week.
- Rising BYU senior Haley Pitou has posted multiple updates of her training a Yurchenko one and a half on her Instagram Story. The most recent one shows her performing the vault onto a mat over the pit.
- Pitou’s classmate, Abbey Alder (Miner) also posted an Instagram Story of her training a cartwheel gainer double twist into the foam pit.
- Southern Utah sophomore Tiffani Stufflebeam posted a clip of her training bars on her Instagram Story with a caption of “7 months too long!!”. Stufflebeam did not compete in 2020 for the Thunderbirds.
- Boise State gymnasts returned to the gym this week.
READ THIS NEXT: Last Week in College Gym: July 27
Article by the editors of College Gym News
Like what you see? Consider donating to support our efforts throughout the year!