During the offseason, it can be difficult to keep up with all the news and training updates happening across the country. So each week, we will provide a curation of the most exciting upgrades, as well as other important news happening in the college gym world. Note the majority of the training updates highlighted will feature new skills and not, for example, someone training their same routine from the past season.
Of course, even with eight editors scouring social media for clips, we’ll still miss updates from time to time. Let us know in the comments or on social media if we didn’t include a new skill, injury comeback or more from someone on your favorite team!
- Bowling Green junior Jasmine Jones is training a whip to double full. The team posted the update on its Instagram Story.
- Florida junior Alyssa Baumann is working a double turn on beam, as seen on Florida’s Instagram story.
- Yale freshman Raegan Walker, who tore her achilles earlier this year, is on the comeback trail. She posted a video of a double layout dismount off bars.
- Randi Morris, junior transfer to Maryland, posted a double layout to her Instagram Story. It’s the first gymnastics we’ve seen from Morris in at least a year.
- Ohio State sophomore Claire Gagliardi is training a Yurchenko half-on tuck half—known as a Servente—which starts from a 10.0.
- A slew of SEMO vaulters are training Yurchenko one and a halfs. Anna Kaziska, Makenzie Slee, Catherine Costantini and Dahlia Solorzano-Caruso were all doing the skill in the team’s Instagram Stories.
- Beam specialist and Minnesota redshirt senior Mary Korlin-Downs is training a back dive beam mount.
- Georgia freshman Haley de Jong is training a triple full on floor. Georgia release its current preseason event rankings for beam and floor, and de Jong is currently sixth on the event.
- Iowa State redshirt senior Sydney Converse is training a double Arabian on floor per her Instagram Story.
- Iowa State sent junior Ariana Orrego off to compete for Peru at the 2019 World Championships.
- Former UCLA roster member Giulianna Pino was officially announced as the Ecuador representative at worlds.
- Boise State hired Ivan Alexov as its new assistant coach. He is a former club coach and was on the U.S. national team coaching staff.
- Recent Iowa State graduate Haylee Young is back at her alma mater as a volunteer assistant coach.
- Recent Kentucky graduate Alex Hyland is the volunteer assistant at Brown.
- Southern Utah alumna Talayna Fortunato was recognized in a feature for her various accolades post-gymnastics—from CrossFit champion to Sports Illustrated.
Article by the editors of College Gym News
Like what you see? Consider donating to support our efforts throughout the year!