There’s a lot that happens on the gymternet each week. So much so that it can be hard to keep track of it all. From training updates and COVID year announcements to recruiting rumors and coaching news, we don’t blame you for missing some important points here and there.
That’s where we come in. Last Week in College Gym is your one-stop shop for all the important headlines from the previous week in college gymnastics. No matter if you’re taking a social media break, went on vacation or just don’t have the capacity to follow every single gymnast, team and fan, we have you covered.
Emma Spence Wins Three Bronze Medals at Commonwealth Games
The Nebraska rising sophomore finished third with the Canadian team, in the all around and on beam, and was the only competitor to advance to every individual final.
Other Newsworthy Items
- Illinois’ Ruthuja Nataraj, representing India, advanced to the all-around final at the Commonwealth Games.
- Rutgers assistant Anastasia Halbig was elevated to associate head coach.
- Kendall Sanders, Centenary graduate, is a finalist for NCAA Woman of the Year.
- Brittany Harris was named Brown’s new head coach, replacing 20-year veteran Sara Carver-Milne, who left for Auburn.
- Wendy Carey, former Centenary assistant coach, was named UW-Oshkosh’s new full-time assistant.
- Rising Auburn sophomore and Olympic gold medalist Suni Lee threw out the first pitch for the Minnesota Twins.
- Former New Hampshire gymnast Erin Carroll joined LIU as an assistant athletic trainer.
- Boise State announced plans for upgrades to ExtraMile arena, where gymnastics competes, as well as improvements to the practice gym.
NIL Brand Deals
- UCLA rising sophomore Jordan Chiles inked a deal with Degree to be a part of its Breaking Limits program.
- Penn rising junior Rose Debarberie is training a Tkatchev on bars per Instagram story.
- Oklahoma rising fifth-year Olivia Trautman is working a switch side half on beam.
- Denver freshman Ava Mabanta is working a back one and a half + front full tumbling pass and a front aerial to arabesque combination on the beam.
- LIU rising sophomore Ilka Juk posted a video of her doing a side aerial + back handspring step-out + Onodi on beam.
- Rising Florida junior Ellie Lazzari, who missed most of the 2022 season with an Achilles injury, posted video of herself easing back into training on beam.
- San Jose State freshman Mikaela Pitts is training a front handspring pike half on vault.
- Incoming BYU freshman Kauri Hunsaker is working a new double layout bar dismount.
READ THIS NEXT: Last Week in College Gym: August 1
Article by the editors of College Gym News
Like what you see? Consider donating to support our efforts throughout the year!