There’s a lot that happens on the gymternet each week. So much so that it can be hard to keep track of it all. From training updates and COVID year announcements to recruiting rumors and coaching news, we don’t blame you for missing some important points here and there.
That’s where we come in. Last Week in College Gym is your one-stop shop for all the important headlines from the previous week in college gymnastics. No matter if you’re taking a social media break, went on vacation or just don’t have the capacity to follow every single gymnast, team and fan, we have you covered.
Simpson College adds gymnastics for 2023 season
Simpson College announced that it will be adding both men’s and women’s gymnastics programs starting in the 2022-2023 season. Simpson will be the first Division III school to add gymnastics in the state of Iowa. Similar to Greenville, Simpson has partnered with USAG to start these programs.
What our Editors are saying…
“I’m so happy that there is yet another college adding a gymnastics program. Simpson’s location on the outskirts of Des Moines will be ideal to tap into the recruiting pool in the area. A small liberal arts college with gymnastics is a niche that needs filling in Iowa, and I’m glad that more gymnasts will get the opportunity to continue their careers at Simpson. This team’s addition is being presented as a means to expand the sport of gymnastics within the community. I hope this trend continues not only in Iowa but other areas across the country as well.” — Tavia Smith, MIC & WIAC
Jessie DeZiel Named UW-Eau Claire Head Coach
Jessie DeZiel, former Nebraska gymnast, has been named the new UW-Eau Claire head coach. She comes to the Blugolds after serving as an assistant coach at Ball State, Illinois and Nebraska. She also was a member of the USAG Athlete Council/Selection Committee for the 2020 Olympics.
Other Newsworthy Items
- Washington announced that Cale Robinson will be joining its coaching staff this season as a volunteer assistant coach.
- Four star recruit Savannah Miller recently announced her commitment to Oregon State. Miller is a member of the 2022 class.
- Junior Mayleigh Vanderbeek announced her transfer from Central Michigan to Eastern Michigan.
- In honor of their 2021 MAC Championship, Eastern Michigan’s training gym received a renovation.
- Michigan announced their three captains for the 2022 season: senior Abby Brenner, senior Abby Heiskell, and junior Sierra Brooks.
- California announced that its entire coaching staff has received contract extensions. Co-head coaches Elisabeth Crandall-Howell and Justin Howell received five-year contract extensions while assistant coach Janelle McDonald received a two-year extension.
- Auburn announced its 2022 schedule and will kick-off the season at North Carolina on January 7th.
- Florida freshman Riley McCusker is eight weeks post-operation from ankle reconstruction surgery.
NIL Brand Deals
- Utah freshman Grace McCallum has partnered with Headspace.
- Florida senior Savannah Schoenherr has signed with Barstool Athletics.
- Geneva Thompson, who recently announced she is returning to Washington for a sixth year, was spotted training Yurchenko doubles on vault.
- Senior Madison McCary was seen training a Pak salto on Centenary’s Instagram.
- UW-Eau Claire sophomore Tia Ravara was seen training a Geinger to overshoot connection on her Instagram stories.
- Nebraska gymnasts Martina Comin and Emma Spence were seen training a double tuck on floor and a blind full to double tuck dismount on bars respectively on their Instagram stories.
- Winona State sophomore Ava Gaudet is training a back 2.5 on floor per her Instagram story.
READ THIS NEXT: Simpson College to Add Women’s, Men’s Gymnastics for 2023 Season
Article by the editors of College Gym News
Like what you see? Consider donating to support our efforts throughout the year!