There’s a lot that happens on the gymternet each week. So much so that it can be hard to keep track of it all. From training updates and COVID news to recruiting rumors and coaching announcements, we don’t blame you for missing some important points here and there.
But that’s where we come in. Last Week in College Gym is your one-stop shop for all the important headlines from the previous week in college gymnastics. No matter if you’re taking a social media break, went on vacation or just don’t have the capacity to follow every single gymnast, team and fan, we have you covered.
Ana Padurariu To Defer UCLA Enrollment
The Canadian elite announced on Instagram that she intends to enroll at UCLA beginning in fall 2021 rather than fall 2020, as she originally planned.
Sacramento State Names Brent and Koeth Team Captains
Senior Jordyn Brent and junior Amber Koeth were named the Hornet’s captains for the 2020-2021 season. Brent served as captain as a junior and will be reprising her role for her senior year.
Ferrer Details Struggle With Mental Health
Former LSU gymnast, Bailey Ferrer, opened up about her experience with an eating disorder and how gymnastics contributed to her struggles with mental health.
Other Newsworthy Items
- According to a survey published by the National Athletic Trainers Association, less than half of student-athletes are fully following COVID-19 safety protocols set forth by their schools and athletic departments. More than 20% of college athletic trainers reported that they do not have adequate access to personal protective equipment (PPE). About 44% of those trainers also said they felt safe in their working environment.
- North Carolina sophomore Hallie Thompson is back training bars after tearing her ACL last season.
- Illinois sophomore Arayah Simons is training a double back dismount on balance beam.
- Georgia gymnast Haley de Jong showed a switch leap to switch full on floor. The sophomore did not compete floor during her freshman year.
- Towson freshman Amanda Pedicelli is training a unique front aerial to side aerial series on beam. Classmate Sarah Girot is training a full in on floor.
READ THIS NEXT: Data Deep Dive: Freshman Class Rankings
Article by the editors of College Gym News
Like what you see? Consider donating to support our efforts throughout the year!