During the offseason, it can be difficult to keep up with all the news and training updates happening across the country. So each week, we will provide a curation of the most exciting upgrades, as well as other important news happening in the college gym world. Note the majority of the training updates highlighted will feature new skills and not, for example, someone training their same routine from the past season.
Of course, even with eight editors scouring social media for clips, we’ll still miss updates from time to time. Let us know in the comments or on social media if we didn’t include a new skill, injury comeback or more from someone on your favorite team!
- A duo of Washington gymnasts were spotted working new skills for the 2020 season. Senior Maya Washington is training a Yurchenko half-on tuck off on vault while sophomore Brenna Brooks has moved her new double front tumbling pass to competition surface.
- UCLA recently hosted an intrasquad where many routines were posted on the team’s Instagram. We recommend checking out these bars routines from sophomore Norah Flatley and senior Kyla Ross. A longer video featuring many routines can be seen here.
- SEMO held a Thanksgiving intrasquad, featuring seven competitors on each event, a positive sign for a team that struggled to put up six for much of 2019. Alana Fischer notably only competed on bars and floor, and Mackenzie Slee and Mallory Desch were not featured on any event. Surprises included sophomore Mackenzie Marciniak, who did not compete her first year, on bars, beam and floor, and freshman Dahlia Solorzano-Caruso, who has been absent from many training updates, featured on the same three pieces.
- Junior Olivia Gunter did a floor routine at LSU’s Gymnastics 101, showing some choreography and a double Arabian. She has not yet competed for LSU after tearing her Achilles as a freshman.
- Missouri freshman Helen Hu showed a full-in dismount on bars, an upgrade from her double tuck.
- At Auburn’s preview meet, senior Gracie Day showed a beam routine for the first time in her college career.
- Iowa State redshirt freshman Makayla Maxwell showed an upgraded Yurchenko one and a half on vault on the team’s Instagram Story.
- BYU freshman Sydney Benson posted a video of herself overpowering a Yurchenko one and a half to resi on her Instagram Story.
- Rutgers sophomore Sage Littlejohn won the Jamaica Cup National Qualifier the weekend after Thanksgiving. She hopes to compete for Team Jamaica.
Article by the editors of College Gym News
Like what you see? Consider donating to support our efforts throughout the year!