During the offseason, it can be difficult to keep up with all the news and training updates happening across the country. So each week, we will provide a curation of the most exciting upgrades, as well as other important news happening in the college gym world. Note the majority of the training updates highlighted will feature new skills and not, for example, someone training their same routine from the past season.
Of course, even with eight editors scouring social media for clips, we’ll still miss updates from time to time. Let us know in the comments or on social media if we didn’t include a new skill, injury comeback or more from someone on your favorite team!
- Illinois State senior Gabrielle Cooke is training a Ray, per assistant coach Chris Muras’ Instagram Story.
- Margzetta Frazier, a UCLA sophomore, posted a video to her Instagram Story training a triple full off the Tumbl Trak.
- Alabama sophomore Sania Mitchell threw a front tuck through to a double tuck on floor, an upgrade from the double tuck she competed in J.O.
- Mia Quigg, a sophomore at Illinois State, posted a Maloney to immediate bail handstand to her Instagram Story.
- Charlise Doctor, a vault specialist and sophomore at Illinois State, is training a Yurchenko one and a half.
- Maryland junior Collea Burgess is training a front full through to double twist, which she posted to her Instagram Story.
- Rutgers’ breakout bars star Shannon Farrell is training a new dismount for her senior year: a blind change + half-in double tuck.
- Michigan State sophomore Alaina Raybon is training a double front bar dismount, per the team Instagram Story.
- Temple sophomore Taylor Newland is training a front tuck mount on beam.
- Sophia Carter showed an Omelianchik vault. The Arkansas junior hasn’t vaulted since freshman year.
- Tess McCracken, a senior at Penn State, is upgrading her bars dismount to a full-twisting double tuck.
- Georgia junior Marissa Oakley showed a gainer back handspring + back handspring + layout step-out series on beam. She previously competed a back handspring to two layout step-outs.
- Two Oklahoma gymnasts are training roundoff one and a halfs through to double tuck: senior Maggie Nichols and freshman Ragan Smith.
- Oklahoma sophomore Olivia Trautman is training a full-twisting double layout on floor.
- World Championship qualifications featured a slew of recent, current and future collegiate gymnasts.
- Lauren Marinez is now the Rutgers volunteer assistant coach. The Michigan alumna will work on beam and floor choreography, and assist on all four events and with recruiting.
- SEMO gymnastics joined the entire athletic department in partnering with TeamUP Against Domestic Violence to raise awareness and end stigmas about the issue. The team posted statistics about domestic violence on its Instagram Story. The number for the national domestic violence hotline is 1-800-799-7233.
- North Carolina is launching an initiative to raise $100 million in support of its 15 women’s athletic programs, including gymnastics. The money will go toward scholarship funds, facilities enhancements and student-athlete mentorship.
- Amoree Lockhart officially signed with Denver. She plans to graduate early and join the team in January.
Article by the editors of College Gym News
Like what you see? Consider donating to support our efforts throughout the year!